Thursday, January 7, 2010

Are you happy, or do you want more?

It has come to my attention that the majority of people joining the gym have a birthday the same month. Freaky coincidence or do we really and subconsciously start to think about our lives, getting older and looking after ourselves better around our birthdays?

 

I know my last birthday was a bit scary. I turned 29 just over a week ago. It’s so close to 30! It’s not really turning 30 that has me scared so much. (I think) It’s all the things I think I should have accomplished in my life before now.

 

Things like fit and healthy, a successful career, marriage, home and children.

 

You guys know exactly where I am headed with fit and healthy and I am happy to say at least I am pointed in the right direction. Calories in vs Calories out. Just sensible eating for someone who hasn’t been doing any activity. I have spoken with Loz  about getting back into our training programs and we are setting ourselves up for next week. Need to write some programs.

 

My career is in a bit of a mess right now. I have moved from seconded role to seconded role. Now the role I am in is being made permanent with a big pay rise. I should be partying right? Except for the fact that it has been advertised and I have to apply for it.

 

I freaked out about that part cause I thought that might mean I don’t get it and that I just go back to a club. BUT then I found out if I don’t get the job and I don’t get another job in the meantime I will not have a job at all anymore.

 

Finding out stuff like this on Christmas Eve is a big downer! I have to admit I’m trying to forget about it and stick my head in the sand like it will all just disappear. That needs to stop.

 

Marriage, well at least we know it WILL happen. I’m in the throws of planning at the moment. I have to say people like Miss Nicky absolutely amaze me with how quickly and perfectly they can put themselves together. It’s like they have their wedding perfectly planned beforehand. Me I have too many maybes and not enough definites. I always panic that I’ll make a decision and then something better will come along. Still I will be 30 when we get married. What happened to being 21 married with 3 kids? 21 was so long ago.

 

FH does own his own home but shares ownership with his mother so I feel that it is their house and not my own.  It also means when it comes to things like wanting to clear the creepy doll collection out of the sideboard or removing the cluttering knick knacks I  can only want.

 

I am far from a perfect housewife and I would adore to be a Bree Van Der Kamp domestic goddess but while I go through fazes it never sticks.

 

One day I hope we can buy her out or get our own home but FH does not want to sell. I know exactly where he is coming from and a big part of me feels exactly the same. Only thing is I haven’t yet won lotto to pay her out yet either.

 

And the children thing – cannot happen until we are married.

 

What about you? How do you feel with where you are in life? Do you want more?

 

3 comments:

KatieP said...

I already have the perfect life, but I want more. I want travel, romance, mystery, excitement, joy and to have made a difference.
I'm having a mid life crisis ♥

Kate @ Loving Life said...

Sounds like there's lots of things going on in your head. Heaps of good luck re your job, I'll have fingers crossed for you!

What is j's plans re his mum and the house long term... is she just going to live there forever?! I would GO INSANE!

K x

Pip said...

Jadey, - all the best with the job! The marital plans sound so exciting too. Really hope it all works out well!

OK, - I don't talk about this much on my blogs but will type it here. (Parents, BF and others read my blog!)
Firstly I'm going to turn 30 this year as well in July. Like you it's not the turning 30 bit so much that scares me, - it's the regret of what I haven't achieved by now.

Seriously my biggest regret is my financial situation. I don't have any profitable assets such as a home, unit, shares, savings or even a car. Right now I have no savings, am just over $1000 in credit card debt. Sometimes I go hard, save over $200 a week but other times I do a 360 degree and way overspend. Huge habit to break.

I realise now that if since I turned 20 I had stayed on track and saved $200 a week, (possible with the work I've done, I would have over $100000 by now if I just let it sit in the bank. If I bought a property before the boom say 6 years ago or invested sensibly it could be way more. Even in a 6% term deposit I could make $6000 easy in a year from that. It's not like I've studied, or travelled extensively. If I had been on a $50000 round the world trip and saved $50000 that would be awesome. Shares I did once save $5000 I had to withdraw to pay off debt.

I don't know what's gonna happen over this next decade, (30's) but I suspect if I do have any kids and get married it will be during my 30's. BF and I have no interest of having kids now, (to much we want to do in the next few years) but guess that would be reassessed in a few years providing we are still together.

I live in a share small apartment with 4 others in the city, I didn't sign the lease but 2 of my flatmates have lived here since I moved in 3.5 years ago. I know I'm really ready to move on in August when this lease runs out. There is kinda talk I will move in with BF, - he is open to the idea but not totally committing which too is fair enough on his behalf. He owns his home and ute. If that happens I will need a car! (I do have licence but don't like city driving, am into country driving more). Will reassess this in June.

Sorry for the long answer, the 20's have been really fun, - but a bit circular in behaviour haha! 6 months left till the big 30!

You have prob learnt more about me here than on my blog hahaha!

Pip :-)