Sunday, April 26, 2009

Post Surgery Musings

Well I got my cast off! Yay!!! Oh my goodness. I never knew how hard it would be to cope post op. I never realised how annoying the cast can be and I'll be honest I was pretty lucky. It didn't stink and it didn't itch too badly. The last couple of days it was starting to itch crazily.

When he pulls it off you can see there's two casts on there. Excuse the hairy leg you can't shave under the cast :P







It was damn heavy in the end and very uncomfortable though. It kept going soft and had to be reinforced which in the end left me with about 15kg of plaster uncomfortably hanging around my ankle. If the surgeon didn't take off the cast when I went to visit I was going to ask to have it off and restart by shopping around for a fibreglass cast which is a lot lighter and stronger.

I have a couple of weeks before I start physio and at the moment I am doing little tiny walks with crutches. By little I mean TINY it takes me 10 minutes (without exaggeration) from couch to toilet which is probably 15 - 20 metres. And doing that once or maybe twice per day is my maximum. Both for walking and for my poor shoulder which is still giving me hassles.







It's a little bruised looking but it's ok.






You know what I have learnt here though? I asked questions of my surgeons in relation to weight loss and having the surgery and was told weight wasn't going to be a problem. Anaesthetics aren't like they used to be you know. Your weight doesn't really make that much difference blah de blah blah.

Well if I had of known the struggles I would face being over weight post surgery I would have made a much bigger effort to get it off beforehand I tell you.

Not only was using crutches hard (which as we know with the previous injury quickly became impossible) BUT it all started before the surgery. I was given a gown, hat, booties and paper undies to wear into surgery.

The paper undies barely made it above my knee! I told the nurse I'm keeping my own on cause they don't fit. I thought the paper undies were embarrassing but having these bulky paper undies not fit was even more embarrassing.

The sponge baths in hospital while appreciated had me very self conscious about my fat arse even in my drugged state. I even felt sorry for the poor nurses who had to deal with such a sight.

When it came time to move anywhere and do anything that presented it's own challenges. Do you know how hard it is to lift 127kg? It's not light. Even regular weight lifters would call that hefty. And to get anywhere you need to lift yourself. Lift yourself out of wheelchair to toilet and off. Off and on couches. Getting in and out of bed, in and out of cars. EVERYTHING.

When it came time to using a wheelchair (I've had two now) My thighs are so big they push out the armrests and rub on the wheels. I look a little like a big sausage stuffed into a little sausage skin. I am so big it's hard to control and push a wheelchair especially when your thighs are on fire from the rubbing and the person pushing is dealing with the resistance issues.

(Who is this girl and how did she get so fat?)

When it came to using scooters I had to check the weight ratings. I had to leave the arm rests up because they lift by themselves otherwise. I just don't fit! I would get into tight spots and the scooter would fit through and my hips would brush on whatever we were passing.

Even now - My weight is causing more pain than necessary while I am trying to relearn to walk.

Doing this again - it's time for me to get serious. It's time for me to get as much weight as possible off before going into my next ankle surgery. I also recommend to anyone looking at having any surgery to take whatever measures to get it off before your surgery despite what your doctor says.

Well I'm off work through all of May and I'm out of leave so that sucks badly! The bills don't stop just because you do and I wish I had planned better to cover myself but I think I'll be OK. Maybe. I'll call Jason LOL.

PS According to my latest weigh in, I'm down 2.9kgs to 124kg. At least it's begun.






Get your own graph at skinnyr



Blogger is being an arse and wont upload photos so there's a couple of vids but check back in a little while for piccys.

4 comments:

Monnie said...

atleast that cast is off now.... And as for the weightloss you have started already with almost 3kgs loss :) slow and steady :) and hurry ack and get your butt back to sydney

Ali said...

video's the removal of a cast!?!
nutcase!

glad you got it off, was thinking I may need to send some fiberglass casting your way... borrowed not stolen of course..

shame I'm not over there now to keep you entertained... how are you coping having forced time off???

You forget how useful ankles are, until something happens to them.

just think it's baby steps

Chris H said...

You must be so relieved to have that sucker off !

Yaa for some weight lost!
Bugger, now you can get to the fridge easier! Don't go there!

Tully said...

I have been meaning to come back and comment about this post because I could really relate. It is reasons like this exactly that I want to lose weight.

I love your attitude, you aren't feeling sorry for yourself, just stating the facts. It sounds like you already have a lot to deal with, so I think you are doing amazing to deal with this situation so well.

Good work on already drpping some kilos!

p.s. Fabulous engagement ring!!!